Healthy Aging® Month is an annual observance month designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older.
Here are some tips from the editors of Healthy Aging® Magazine (www.healthyaging.net) to get older adults started reinventing themselves
10 Tips for Reinventing Yourself during September Is Healthy Aging® Month:
- Do not act your age or at least what you think your current age should act like.
- Be positive in your conversations and your actions every day.
- Have negative friends who complain all of the time and constantly talk about how awful everything is? Drop them. As cruel as that may sound, distance yourself from people who do not have a positive outlook on life.
- Walk like a vibrant, healthy person. Come on. You can probably do it.
- Stand up straight! You can knock off the appearance of a few extra years with this trick your mother kept trying to tell you.
- How’s your smile? Research shows people who smile more often are happier.
- Lonely? Stop brooding and complaining about having no friends or family. Do something about it now. Right this minute. Pick up the phone, landline, or cell and make a call to do one or more of the following: Volunteer your time, take a class, and invite someone to meet for lunch, brunch, dinner, or coffee.
- Start walking not only for your health but to see the neighbors.
- Make this month the time to set up your annual physical and other health screenings.
- Find your inner artist.